Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I fxxked up!


The pic on the right is the boat laminated on the inside with carbon - the pic on the left is all the carbon that peeled straight out of the inside of the boat after the first time I laminated.
I used the exact same process of fair, fill, fair, fill, fair, clean, resin, lay cloth, work resin, peelply (as shown in the previous post) but despite the cloth wetting out beautifully nearly half of the cloth laid didn't bond to the hull!!!!
The only difference in the outside of the hull to the inside was that I used a Nylon abrasive brush (type that goes into a drill) to fair some of the trickier spots - and it seems that nylon dust caused the resin not to bond in areas. So after several heartbreaking days of pulling out carbon, sanding, fairing, filling (and cleaning with acetone) I am now happy with the inside and am ready to put on the foredeck and bulkhead. As it is now New Years Eve that may have to wait until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jethrow said...

I'd say Bugger but I assume you said something much worse. Pity you can't re-cycle carbon, not on boats anyway.

Geoff